Sunday, December 6, 2009

Surf is up--really up!

Yesterday I was in The Mililani Christmas Parade. I really wanted to ride my bike in the parade, but there was no bike contingent. I spoke with the parade organizer and he was enthusiastic about having one next year. I will try to find some bicyclists who are interested for the next parade. I also found out that they are going to move a bike rack outside of the supermarket as I requested. That makes a lot of sense and will be much more convenient for those who want to use their bikes for shopping.

It is beautiful today and the big news is that "Oahu is bracing for monster surf". I would love to be able to feel experienced enough to ride out to the North Shore to look at what is forecast as 40-50 foot waves starting tomorrow, but someday I will be able to accomplish that ride. Meanwhile, I am grateful for the good weather and the close proximity of some smooth road and sidewalk to ride on in Mililani--and for the beautiful bike I am riding.

This is a very busy time of the year for all of us, but those breaks for exercise are a good thing and help me to appreciate our beautiful weather and the scenery which constantly surrounds us. The big surf actually could be hazardous to those who live near the water, and it has not been this big in years. It's height is related to an offshore storm which we don't see--only the ocean tells us it has happened. The Eddie Aikau surf competition may take place this year if the waves are big enough and organized enough.

Aloha,
Do good this season, Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom, What a great blog. Thanks for promoting bike riding in Mililani. It's healthy for people, good for the environment, and will help reduce traffic. Mililani has such nice wide streets-- very suitable for bike lanes!

    Aloha,
    John

    ReplyDelete